• Today: Sunday 14 Apr 2024

Vulnerable out of school youths receive entrepreneurial financial support in Bukiende subcounty Mbale District

06 June, 2023
369

50 disadvantaged and vulnerable out of school youth in ten associations in Bukiende Sub County, Mbale District are to receive financial support from Food for the Hungry(FH), an International relief and development organization.

 


Of these, 30 are female and 20 male. The youth have undergone entrepreneurship training and acquired a range of issues on small business management

Gloria Namusimbi from Burukuru Youth Poultry association in Burukuru parish says that following the training, they intend to take on the broiler chicken business and production of organic manure. Namusimbi says their business plan with a budget of 8millionshillings once funded will enable them produce and market their chicken in the various schools and restaurants in Mbale District/ City.

Kenneth Wepukhulu from Bushangi Five the harvest season and reap big from during the off season where there is scarcity.Star Produce Dealers, says their budget of 5.6million shillings will enable them trade in maize, beans and millet. Wepukhulu says that they intend to purchase the produce during

 Stella Aleper the Food for the Hungry Programs Manager says that following a vetting process of the business plans by the ten youth associations, six will be given seed capital at zero interest rate.

 Aleper says that working hand in hand with a yet to be identified financial institution, each of the successful associations will have 80% of their budgets funded by Food for the Hungry while the associations will fund the remaining 20%.

 Aleper says the one-year pilot project with funding from Food for the Hungry Canada is being implemented in the five parishes of Burukuru, Bumutsopa, Bungwanyi, Bunashimolo and Bushangi in Bukiende Sub County.

She says the funds which are revolving in nature will be repaid at zero interest rate to enable other youth groups benefit. 

Irene Buteme Simiyu the Mbale District senior commercial officer says the initiative will supplement government effort in fighting poverty at household level.

Comment